Thursday, April 12, 2007

Stuff About Existence In A Particular Way

(I realize my last post wasn't that profound :=P TWO NOSES!!)

I'm sure you've all heard the saying, If a tree falls and nobody is there, does it make a sound? (Or something like that)

This is something I like to think about.

Say a tree does fall and nobody is there. Like in some forest in Canada, and there is nobody in sight, nobody for like 20 miles in any direction. Nobody hears it. First we have to define sound.
Sound is what we hear. We hear sound. Sound enters through our ears and our brain gets some kind of message thing and we hear stuff. That's how sound works, and that's what sound is. I'm not going into the whole sound wave thing, I don't like science. Anyway, if sound is just what we hear through one of our senses, does it really exist?
Technically, when a tree falls and nobody is around, the sound waves are made and they travel, but nobody hears it. It's wasted sound waves, is what it is. They're made and then not used, when something like this happens.
So does it make a sound? No, no I don't believe it does.
When something makes a sound, people hear it. That's what happens when a sound is made. That's a sound. Sound waves can be made, but nobody will hear them - therefore, it's not a sound.

This is what made me think of something else; if nobody is in a certain spot, does it exist? How do I know Australia exists if I've never been there?
First, the latter question. I know Australia exists because I've seen photos and videos and people I know have gone there. Simple. I know other places of the world through others' descriptions and evidence. This is how I know, and I'm not going to go in and argue that because I'm not crazy like that. It's just what will bring me to the first question.
If nobody is in a certain spot, does it exist?
Well, I believe in evolution, but I also believe in life. As soon as life existed on this evolved earth, the earth was known to exist. Therefore, ever since the earth started to exist/evolve, some form of life has known it to exist. We know the earth exists. People and animals have virtually gone to every place on it. But when nobody is around to see, smell, feel, or taste, not just hear, the place around them, does it exist?
Yes, because others have gone there and have memories of that place, so it exists. Or we know it to exist.
This is the question: does earth really exist, or do we simply know it to exist? Is earth just what it is because it's what we know? I'm not saying we made earth up in our heads (and not just earth, for that matter, everything we see beyond it, like stars, the moon, other solar systems, sun, etc etc). I'm just asking a question, does earth really exist, or do we simply know it to exist? Without life, what would earth be? Without any life whatsoever in the whole universe, what would the universe and its planets and stuff be?

Just something for you to ponder. If you're wondering for some weird reason what my take is, I don't think the universe is anything without life. Nobody sees it, so it's nothing. It doesn't exist.

~Profound Thoughts Of A Young Woman~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...a thought often pondered by myself, actually. I've gone through a thought experiment dealing with something completely hypothetical.

If a man was born into complete sterility, and the mother proceeded to spontaneously combust (or otherwise be uninvolved with the rest of the world anymore), and then placed in a box, would he exist? This is, of course, assuming all bacteria is gone as well (which is impossible, but it's a thought experiment).

Obviously, HE still thinks he exists, and thusly he still exists. But what if he could convince himself whole-heartedly that he did NOT exist? Obviously the human mind is incapable of such things, but WHAT IF he could. Would he exist? He is living and until his subconscious mind leaves him, too, he is breathing. But once he convinces himself that he does not exist, what happens? Does he still exist? Obviously, he came from somewhere and he has taken up space (and yet he hasn't really because of his complete sterility). But is he existent?

Sort of the same sort of effect as the tree thought experiment, just tweaked slightly to hit a bit closer to home and give a better understanding of the theory.

Interesting profoundness. ;)